Monday, January 4, 2010

Monday Evening

We’ve just arrived at the Seaview Holiday Park, a seaside motor lodge in Mokau. Buda had originally reserved two cabins, but one was unavailable so they put us in a caravan instead. I love it! It’s an old trailer camper from four decades ago, though it looks newly restored. We’re stationed just off the edge of the Tasman Sea, and I’m looking forward to falling asleep to the sound of the surf.

Our kayaking plans for this morning in Taupo were rained out, so we decided to go soak in the mineral pools at AC Baths instead. We reserved two private rooms, where we spent 45 minutes in a sulfurous hot tub. Afterward, Ljuba and I rode the water slides (though we didn’t have passes), went in the sauna, and swam in the pool. It’s a great complex, and only cost $14.

For lunch, we ate at Mr. India, an authentic Indian place in Taupo’s city center. It was good, though the dishes tended to be too sweet for my taste. Amazing samosas. After a quick pit stop for Internet and coffee, we were back on the road.

I developed a miserable headache and almost lost my lunch a few times on the drive west to the coast. After a quick nap I felt much better. The countryside was beautiful; very bucolic but at the same time kind of wild. New Zealand has this pastoral grandeur thing going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment